Google has Rolled out 2nd update for its Developer Preview of Android M. The update is available for Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 9, and Nexus Player. It is an incremental update to the Android M preview platform that was originally released in May 2015. One of the major update is Google Play service which is updated to v7.6.
Here’s a list of changes made:
- Android Platform: Platform changes include permission to external storage, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi location also there are changes to contacts/identity permissions. Device connections through the USB port are now set to charge-only mode by default.
- Permission: Bookmarks and subscribed feeds permissions are removed. Also the apps included in the system image are no longer granted dangerous permissions automatically and all apps will check for and request permissions at runtime.
- API Changes: Bluetooth Stylus APIs are updated and include new callback events. View.onContextClickListener and GestureDetector.OnContextClickListener will listen for stylus button presses and to perform secondary actions. Media API updated with new callback InputDevice.hasMicrophone() method for determining if a device microphone exists.
- Fixes for developer-reported issues: TextInputLayout doesn’t set hint for embedded EditText. Camera Permission issue with Legacy Apps
But there are still some issues, as follow:
- The system Messenger app crashes on the 64-bit emulator.
- In YouTube app, it’s not possible to share a video. The share window is blank.
- Contacts sync experiences intermittent issues. The workaround is to clear and re-sync Contact Storage data after update. To clear data, go to Settings > Apps > Show system > Contacts Storage. Select “Storage” and then Clear data.
- Android For Work Profile setup is not working properly, so you won’t be able to create a new Work Profile after you update. As a workaround, make sure to create the Work Profiles you need in Developer Preview 1 before updating to Developer Preview 2.
Issues specific to MPZ79N on Nexus Player:
- Movies show black screen with some ANRs on exiting the video.
- Bluetooth share crashes after clearing data. Please do not clear Bluetooth share data, otherwise you will need to Factory Reset your device.
- In YouTube app, lower-resolution videos have a green bar at the top and some color-ghosting.